Saturday, August 18, 2012

Review- The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton


The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary- Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth... that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.

But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.

My Review- The Mind Readers was a pretty good read for me. The base storyline was different and nicely written and the characters were given a certain admirable depth. Even though at times Cameron became too whiny for my taste, I still liked the way Ms. Brighton kept a steady pace of her change in attitude towards life.

The first part of the book just sucked me in! I really couldn’t stop reading. This book really made me second-guess my own thoughts. What if someone could hear my thoughts? What would they think? What do I think about my thoughts? This was the BESTEST part in the whole book and it really made me wonder about a lot of stuff.

Everything was awesome till the entry of our supposed hero of the book, Lewis. It wasn’t probably Cam’s fault for falling for him but that still didn’t stop me from thinking about strangling her when she sooooo easily believed him and his cheesy dialogues. I mean, the guy was feeding her crap and she just blindly took it without even questioning it much. That made her a weak protagonist for me. It was damn frustrating to see her make such stupid mistakes and that’s when I lost some of my interest in the story. The middle part was okay, but nothing as fun as the first part. However, my interest in the story again went soaring when the main action scene came in the last part.

I guess the only characters I liked in the story were Maddox and the little girl whose name was somewhat similar to Cameron (dang I forgot her name!) who was pretty mature for her age. And both of these characters had a very tiny role in the story so needless to say, it was a little disappointing. But I’m sure that in the next, Maddox is gonna play a bigger part (yay!) and maybe there’s gonna be a love triangle..? Atleast, that’s what I could gather from the ending of Mind Readers.

All in all, this book was likeable enough to give it a four stars, although more accurately it’s somewhat between a 3 and a 4 star for me. I think many YA book lovers are gonna love eet! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Post one here, and I'll definitely reply back. :D